Bring Slovenian flavours to your plate with Chef Uroš Štefelin's gourmet breakfast recipe
Prepare an amazing breakfast inspired by the chef of Vila Podvin, the only Michelin star awarded restaurant in Slovenia's Gorenjska region, featuring a local red cornmeal polenta called trdinka, confit egg yolks and crispy pork cracklings.
Slovenian chef Uroš Štefelin owes much of his culinary inspiration to the beautiful surroundings of his native Gorenjska region and the local cuisine he fondly remembers from his childhood. As the creative mind behind the area's only Michelin star awarded restaurant, Vila Podvin, Chef Štefelin loves paying homage to the history and tradition of his homeland while incorporating contemporary flourishes that surprise even the most discerning diners' palates.
His favourite breakfast growing up was something his grandmother, or "stara mama," would prepare in the morning: a comforting combination of eggs and homemade pork cracklings for him and sturdy polenta with milk for his brother. To honour her memory, he developed a dish at Vila Podvin that uses the quintessential Gorenjska ingredients that he often serves, miniaturised as an amuse-bouche. He uses polenta made with trdinka (indigenous native red cornmeal) of perfect consistency that the local miller grinds especially for him and has to cook for several hours, before adding the free-range eggs and local organic pork.
Of course, Chef Štefelin elevates everything with a refined touch. He combines confit egg yolks, creamed potatoes, crispy cracklings, and trdinka with porcini mushrooms, popped buckwheat, and wood sorrel. He even adds edible borage flowers, providing layers of savoury flavours and eye-pleasing colours to the plate.
Download recipe: Priceless Cookbook - Chef Uroš Štefelin's Gorenjska Breakfast
Since you will probably have trouble finding trdinka cornmeal in your local market, the dish can be replicated at home with easier-to-find substitutions like yellow cornmeal. You can also add any bacon or other breakfast meat you like, and your favourite mushrooms to create your own similarly satisfying morning meal.
The Gorenjska breakfast is the perfect dish to surprise your special someone with this holiday season as a reminder of how much you love them and to celebrate the culinary heritage of Slovenia and its inspiring chefs like Uroš Štefelin.
Chef Uroš Štefelin's Gorenjska Breakfast
SERVING SIZE: 2
200g of cornmeal
2 egg yolks
600g of potatoes
100g of pork cracklings
250ml of fresh cream
100ml of olive oil
- Wash the potatoes before putting them in the pot. Cover with water, add a pinch of salt and boil until tender. Peel the potatoes and mash them with 200ml of potato water. Add fresh cream, olive oil and salt and stir until smooth. If possible, use the cream syphon to achieve the perfect tenderness.
- Cook the cornmeal, following the instructions on the packaging.
- Put the olive oil in a fireproof bowl and heat it in the oven to 60°C. Dip the egg yolks in the oil for 10 minutes.
- Heat up the cracklings in the pan.
- Start plating by covering the plate with polenta. Add egg yolk and cracklings and top with potato cream. Chef Uroš Štefelin spiced up the dish with freshly grated porcini mushrooms, popped buckwheat, wood sorrel, olive oil and borage flowers.