Start your week in style with Marcus Samuelsson’s Sunday Eggs
If you can’t treat mom to brunch at her favorite restaurant, an elevated egg dish like this can make dining at home feel just as special.
Vibrant flavors like Mexican chorizo, chipotle, and horseradish are balanced by soft, rich burrata cheese, providing a centerpiece to a meal worth lingering over. It’s a longtime favorite of the multiple James Beard Award-winning chef, who enlists the help of his son to make it a family affair.
Sunday Eggs is a brunch classic and perfect for your mom. It's flavorful, topped with the just the right amount of cheese, basil, and toasty bread. I make this dish all the time and I know my wife, Maya, will love it. I let my son, Zion, crack the eggs, which he always enjoys. It's a great dish for kids to join in and help. -M.S.
Download recipe: Priceless® Cookbook Sunday Eggs by Marcus Samuelsson
- Large cast-iron skillet
(Stainless steel or non-stick frying pan can be used instead)
INGREDIENTS FOR FOUR SERVINGS
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ cup Mexican chorizo, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- One 14½-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 3 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons horseradish, preferably freshly grated
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 4 slices country bread, toasted
- 8 ounces burrata cheese, at room temperature, cut into pieces (optional)
- 4 basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add chorizo, onion, celery, and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, capers, olives, chipotle, and water to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until the sauce is thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
- Crack each egg into the sauce and cook until the whites are set, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Put a piece of toast on each of four plates.
- Spoon 2 eggs onto each piece of toast, and divide any sauce left in the skillet.
- Top the eggs with the burrata if using, drizzle with olive oil, tear the basil leaves and sprinkle on top, and serve.
*For every online or contactless transaction made and reported at or from qualifying restaurants and grocery stores (as defined by the applicable Mastercard Merchant Category Code) with a U.S. issued Mastercard, Mastercard will donate one cent (US$1), up to US$5MM to Stand Up To Cancer (“SU2C”). Applies 4/1/2021 12:00am ET – 8/31/2021 11:59pm ET or when US$5MM donation max is reached, whichever comes first. If otherwise qualifying contactless and Mastercard Merchant Category Code transaction is not so classified and reported by a third party, transaction will not count as a qualifying transaction and will not result in a donation to SU2C. Debit PIN and Int’l transactions ineligible. SU2C is a division of the Entertainment Industry Foundation. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and Start Something Priceless and the circles design are trademarks, of Mastercard International Incorporated. ©2021 Mastercard. See full terms at mastercard.us/SU2C.